Bringing SAN News back

Moderators: Game Admins, LS-RP Testers, Junior Developers, Lead Admins, Web Developers, Developers

FlowN
Almost Human
Almost Human
Ingame name: Daniel Holt

Bringing SAN News back

Post by FlowN » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:44 pm

I've just found out that the faction has been removed, not sure how long ago, but that's really sad news. I'm suggesting bringing it back, taking it through a revamp and reopening it. Even if there's only a few people, as long as they're motivated enough to keep it running I'd say that it's worth it as it doesn't really showcase any negative aspects whatsoever. It's one of the most powerful legal factions (could be) and there's so much potential in it, I know that I would be down for some serious character development and role-play with this faction.

It can and can't be reproduced through the company system as the original faction had perks that if they were to be given out, they could be misused.
SENATOR DANIEL BRIAN HOLT - CREATING CHANGE | THE SAN ANDREAS REPUBLICAN PARTY
CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT | COMMUNITY THREAD

papabiceps
Mafia
Mafia

Re: Bringing SAN News back

Post by papabiceps » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:31 am

You could always start creating a news cpmpany your own ICLy, add some people in the group along the way and then, once you get enough members, apply to make that a legal faction. Name that SAN News or whatever you decide and voila.
yall beautiful.

knppel
Bad News
Bad News
Ingame name: Carry Saunders

Post by knppel » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:17 pm

papabiceps wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:31 am
You could always start creating a news cpmpany your own ICLy, add some people in the group along the way and then, once you get enough members, apply to make that a legal faction. Name that SAN News or whatever you decide and voila.
Having actually done this too, I have to throw in the simple option to do whatever we want to is no replacement for an existing news agency one can apply for in character.
Both on ic and ooc level, raising your own thing demands time, effort, dedication and ideally talent on top, even if I evidently proof it can work without the later.
Over the course of the past years, I've seen roughly half a douzen people dedicated enough to actually pull off their own media-wise thing, whatever it was. At the same time, I've seen no idea how many more who applied as reporters in SAN (or my character's company when we had it active), that would certainly never have bothered to open their own news agency ingame, but were more than happy they had the option to roleplay reporters, journalists or whatever their role was- and could only do so because there was existing infrastructure and an organisation to apply for (or several at some points even).

Thus, the simple existence of SAN, even at times when it was fully inactive, as it was occasionaly, always served to attract interested people, and gave them the option to simply play a reporter, without having to go through a hazzle like my character, aquiring millions of funds next by to finance the thing, eventually get corrupt over all the money etc.

Saying "But you can do your own thing anyway" is basically like descripting all criminal factions and then telling people they can just rp a mob anyway if they like to.

Marauder
Game Administrator

Post by Marauder » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:45 pm

SAN was taken out by management - I believe due to it not being feasible for it to be an IG role. A lot of complained about live newscasts via/report and /helpme

FlowN
Almost Human
Almost Human

Post by FlowN » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:00 pm

Marauder wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:45 pm
SAN was taken out by management - I believe due to it not being feasible for it to be an IG role. A lot of complained about live newscasts via/report and /helpme
The script was not great. It was old and it wasn't thought through correctly. That was the problem, not the faction itself. The faction was great and even if some considered it the other way around, its existence didn't really bother anyone. With a new and improved script - it doesn't even require that much work, it's not a complex script - the faction could thrive.

It's not feasible for most people to start their own companies. I'd love to role-play a reporter, I really would but I don't have the time, resources, IG funds and motivation to start off from scratch through a separate company, nor joining another one's. In a faction (company) that's being led by carefully chosen people, the amount of professionalism, bias and general activity differs radically which, for lots of player-made companies, isn't the case. Even if someone manages to set it all up, it's still not going to receive the same amount of support and perks as SAN news did / could. Having to present your news through /cad does not make sense and is not feasible - it's the only way and it's better than nothing, but it's bad.

Again, taking a week to go through everything (script, internal hierarchy, resources etc.) can really set the media role-play off. We do / did have attempts, some more successful than others and very, very few actual media agencies but again, they were way too different from SAN and I would personally join none due to the reasons above and many others. SAN is unique.

.mikey
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by .mikey » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:22 pm

you not having the motivation to roleplay an independent news journalist is nobody's fault but your own lol.

imo SAN was horrible and did nothing but discourage the creation of alternative news organisations. it was a fast track method for characters to achieve status and power without any form of development. no hard work or creativity was involved. only official player created networks should be able to reap the rewards of the san script

FlowN
Almost Human
Almost Human

Post by FlowN » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:26 pm

Badman Mike wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:22 pm
you not having the motivation to roleplay an independent news journalist is nobody's fault but your own lol.

imo SAN was horrible and did nothing but discourage the creation of alternative news organisations. it was a fast track method for characters to achieve status and power without any form of development. no hard work or creativity was involved. only official player created networks should be able to reap the rewards of the san script
That's not accurate at all and I also believe that you've never done any role-play in the faction. It's like saying that every single CNN / BBC / ABC / Fox and so on journalist or reporter is a cheater because they work for a company and didn't choose to be an independent journalist. Being an independent journalist and being a hired journalist or reporter are totally different things. As a side note, independent journalists handle their work and send it to other publications for money. What you're suggesting is not being an independent journalist but being a business owner. Again, two different things.

It's like saying that FD should be removed because it would push people towards starting ambulance services and that it's your fault for wanting to do medical RP in a faction instead of choosing to do way more work that you're not interested in.

Either way, I'm not saying that SAN was active but that it had (and still has) potential. It wasn't handled correctly from many points of view, hence the current situation but it can be revamped with not even that much effort and it would be a great addition for everyone interested in such role-play. Whatever happens, SAN does not interact with the public as factions like SD, PD and FD do so it being added back wouldn't really affect anyone.

FazerX
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Ingame name: CLASSIFIED

Post by FazerX » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:16 pm

Member of Government Discussions.

FlowN
Almost Human
Almost Human

Post by FlowN » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:07 pm

I'll post what I posted in Verified Discussions for people who can't post there (or don't want to) to be able to see and respond.

That's a great initiative but the problem still stands, people who want to role-play reporters are not able to. The old script somehow allowed such role-play to happen through the not-so-great broadcast command and the TV script which was a great idea but even with IC companies like yours, people who want to role-play news reporters are not able to and believe me, more people want to do that than role-play journalists for the simple fact that going around, looking for news and the whole thing is way more interesting than writing paragraphs per article for stuff that means nothing in real life and that very few people actually read through (no offense). I know I would never do the latter. That's why SAN should be re-implemented, maybe even re-branded, as a faction and not a company. It's just not able to function (or if it is, to a much lower standard when it comes to many aspects) as a player-made company, while lacking a script suite.

Apophis
Lead Administrator
Ingame name: popposito x dai lo

Post by Apophis » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:09 am

Our stance on SAN has privately been discussed with FazerX and Elvira during the bidding for the SAN company slot. SAN is being treated as a routine faction instead of being immediately achieving official status for the time being. You're welcome to contact me, FazerX or Elvira directly if you'd like more information.

Thank you for the suggestion regardless.
apophis x plastic x junipero x dogs x leispang x gwb x kirby x zulu x oliver x retina x limpone x sao x bd x redboy x lunar x loud pack x mrm x m1 x taxi x bigs

1-2-3-4-5-6-7-H8 Image

Return to “Trashed/Old Suggestions”