Drugs 1.0 - Touching Base & Getting The Act Together

Any important server news or announcements will be posted here.

Moderators: Lead Developers, Lead Admins

Locked
otter
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Posts: 6295
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:53 pm

Drugs 1.0 - Touching Base & Getting The Act Together

Post by otter » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:35 pm

DRUGS 1.0 - TOUCHING BASE & GETTING THE ACT TOGETHER

As time has gone on, it is quite evident that there are some rather prominent issues pertinent to the (somewhat) recent drug update. Be it as a result of misfortune, undesirable circumstances (both in and out of LS:RP), or general incompetence along the chain of development - there has been some clear negligence that has had a dire effect on the progress and overall status of the update, and the fragile market that surrounds it. This is not acceptable. I've found myself occupied outside of LS:RP, with work and other personal matters taking the foreground; as I've said before - my own issues shouldn't have such a radical effect on the community as a whole, and for things to have slowed down as they have is not OK. I accept responsibility for my failings. Moving forward, changes must be made and it's vital that the drug update as a whole is brought back on track.

This starts now.


"The Patch" & Drugs In Vehicles:

Some time ago, a serious issue relating to the storage of drugs in vehicles surfaced; this, along with other complications that seem to have arisen following the recent server revision rollback, made it unfeasible for more drugs to be pumped into the server. A bug like this is, objectively speaking, game-breaking and has a massive impact on the player-base, particularly those that dabble in illegal role-play. Players were consistently losing their drugs, and with the refund requests mounting and general frustration rising, halting the introduction of drugs seemed like the right thing to do.

So what went wrong?

In the short term, the plan was to make a back-up of the drugs stored in vehicles and for a patch to be introduced once the issue had been identified. A lapse in communication between myself and the Head of Development meant that this was not done immediately. Until recently, I was under the impression that a back-up was made when I had asked for it: unfortunately, this was not the case. When I was finally able to identify the issue, it took a considerable length of time for it to be introduced to the server due to the Head of Development being abroad, amongst other disturbances; I am unable to make implementations off my own back which is why this caused such a delay.

Those who have lost drugs as a result of the recent issues may submit a refund request, with or without evidence. Whilst evidence will guarantee a refund, those who are unable to produce anything may still be eligible on a case-by-case basis. The refund requests that do not include evidence will be handled by myself.

Eventually, I was given a date (July 30th 2017) for implementation; this had to be pushed back to the 31st of July, and when the Head of Development was ready for it to go for the final stage of testing, I was occupied with some stuff of my own. Today (August 3rd 2017), the patch has gone live - and as a result, things can start moving forward again... finally.

If you still experience issues with the storage of drugs in vehicles, please let me know as soon as possible. Additionally, some unexpected behaviour relating to physical drug packages has come to light after the recent rollback of the pre-anniversary updates; if you have any information pertaining to this that could help me diagnose the issue, then please let me know!

The Drug Distribution Scheme:

As time has gone on, it's become quite evident that the drug distribution scheme in its existing form just does not work. This has been one of the most prominent issues as it has made it difficult for a real market to be established. Following community feedback, I will be coordinating with Faction Management to make the necessary amendments to the scheme.

Starting from now, factions will be approached individually by Faction Management for admittance to the scheme. I'm leaving the selection process in the hands of Faction Management, and it will be entirely up to them to decide who does and does not partake in it as per their own criteria. Each faction will be assigned a handler from Faction Management who will act as their point-of-contact for anything relating to the scheme. Following that, a Level 3 Game Admin from Faction Management will be able to distribute said drugs to the nominated faction member and any further requests will go through the aforementioned handler.

This should make things much easier and will remove a lot of redundancy from the existing process.

Transparency:

A lot of the concerns that the community have had could easily have been resolved with a little transparency. Whilst certain matters are private and are not appropriate for public consumption, I can definitely do more to ensure that you guys are in the loop. This post is the beginning of a revised attitude towards community relations and I hope that we'll all be able to benefit from it in the long run.

Future Updates:

I'm able to look at introducing updates to the drug system once again, and I don't intend to slack off any longer. The first order of business is going to be the introduction of drop off points. Drop off points will serve as a replacement for the so-called "drug warehouses" that exist at present. Whilst the concept of drug production facilities will still remain relevant in the future, drop off points will offer a more dynamic approach to the drug distribution scheme for eligible factions whilst offering a more immersive medium through which they can obtain their drugs. I aim to introduce this, amongst some other minor changes, by August 21st 2017. As per my last paragraph, any deviance from this timeline will be made clear to you.

Aside from that, what implementations do you want to see in the short term? Which changes could be made to greatly improve your experience? What minor features could be brought into play in the month of August? Let me know.

I thank you all for your patience.

User avatar
Fractilla
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Posts: 4363
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: Drugs 1.0 - Touching Base & Getting The Act Together

Post by Fractilla » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:53 pm

Looks good man, is the distribution scheme always going to be like that or will official gangs get drug warehouses back?

otter
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Posts: 6295
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:53 pm

Re: Drugs 1.0 - Touching Base & Getting The Act Together

Post by otter » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:55 pm

Fractilla wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:53 pm
Looks good man, is the distribution scheme always going to be like that or will official gangs get drug warehouses back?
The introduction of drop-off points will effectively serve the same purpose as drug warehouses used to; the only difference is that they may not necessarily be restricted to official factions.

Abe_Belsky
Mafia
Mafia
Posts: 326
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:20 am

Re: Drugs 1.0 - Touching Base & Getting The Act Together

Post by Abe_Belsky » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:08 pm

otter wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:55 pm
they may not necessarily be restricted to official factions.
Can you elaborate on this? Who (in addition to official factions) will have access? Unofficial factions? Unaffiliated players?

otter
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Posts: 6295
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:53 pm

Re: Drugs 1.0 - Touching Base & Getting The Act Together

Post by otter » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:32 pm

Abe_Belsky wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:08 pm
otter wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:55 pm
they may not necessarily be restricted to official factions.
Can you elaborate on this? Who (in addition to official factions) will have access? Unofficial factions? Unaffiliated players?
That'll be at the discretion of Faction Management; the feature will just be crafted in away that allows for other parties to benefit from it.

User avatar
Lem
Mafia
Mafia
Posts: 320
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:13 pm
Ingame name: Toby Illescas
Location: the hood

Re: Drugs 1.0 - Touching Base & Getting The Act Together

Post by Lem » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:02 pm

otter wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:55 pm
Fractilla wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:53 pm
Looks good man, is the distribution scheme always going to be like that or will official gangs get drug warehouses back?
The introduction of drop-off points will effectively serve the same purpose as drug warehouses used to; the only difference is that they may not necessarily be restricted to official factions.
When will gangs receive drugs now that the drug system is stable?

User avatar
Kee-Slim
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Posts: 1773
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:35 am

Re: Drugs 1.0 - Touching Base & Getting The Act Together

Post by Kee-Slim » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:26 pm

Can unofficial still apply for it to get on the Faction Managements radar as that they want it? Or is it all just favoritism on who gets drugs?

danielswe
LS:RP Tester
LS:RP Tester
Posts: 816
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Drugs 1.0 - Touching Base & Getting The Act Together

Post by danielswe » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:57 pm

otter wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:35 pm
Aside from that, what implementations do you want to see in the short term? Which changes could be made to greatly improve your experience? What minor features could be brought into play in the month of August? Let me know.
Is this regarding drugs or just overall minor suggestions that's easy to change/implement?

Clique
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Posts: 2399
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 4:24 pm
Location: Israel

Re: Drugs 1.0 - Touching Base & Getting The Act Together

Post by Clique » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:18 pm

Thank you, otter.

otter
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Posts: 6295
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:53 pm

Re: Drugs 1.0 - Touching Base & Getting The Act Together

Post by otter » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:20 pm

Lem wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:02 pm
otter wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:55 pm
Fractilla wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:53 pm
Looks good man, is the distribution scheme always going to be like that or will official gangs get drug warehouses back?
The introduction of drop-off points will effectively serve the same purpose as drug warehouses used to; the only difference is that they may not necessarily be restricted to official factions.
When will gangs receive drugs now that the drug system is stable?
otter wrote:The Drug Distribution Scheme:

As time has gone on, it's become quite evident that the drug distribution scheme in its existing form just does not work. This has been one of the most prominent issues as it has made it difficult for a real market to be established. Following community feedback, I will be coordinating with Faction Management to make the necessary amendments to the scheme.

Starting from now, factions will be approached individually by Faction Management for admittance to the scheme. I'm leaving the selection process in the hands of Faction Management, and it will be entirely up to them to decide who does and does not partake in it as per their own criteria. Each faction will be assigned a handler from Faction Management who will act as their point-of-contact for anything relating to the scheme. Following that, a Level 3 Game Admin from Faction Management will be able to distribute said drugs to the nominated faction member and any further requests will go through the aforementioned handler.

This should make things much easier and will remove a lot of redundancy from the existing process.
Kee-Slim wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:26 pm
Can unofficial still apply for it to get on the Faction Managements radar as that they want it? Or is it all just favoritism on who gets drugs?
otter wrote:I'm leaving the selection process in the hands of Faction Management, and it will be entirely up to them to decide who does and does not partake in it as per their own criteria.
It is to my understanding that as the entity responsible for looking over and managing all factions on the server, everyone is on Faction Management's radar to some extent. There will be no sense of favouritism, it'll merely depend on whether or not a faction fits their eligibility criteria. Apophis is the best guy to speak to in that respect.
danielswe wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:57 pm
otter wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:35 pm
Aside from that, what implementations do you want to see in the short term? Which changes could be made to greatly improve your experience? What minor features could be brought into play in the month of August? Let me know.
Is this regarding drugs or just overall minor suggestions that's easy to change/implement?
In this instance, I'm merely referring to drugs as - for the time being - that is my sole priority.

User avatar
#drew
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Posts: 2132
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:25 am
Location: whiteberry

Re: Drugs 1.0 - Touching Base & Getting The Act Together

Post by #drew » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:28 pm

Thanks for the update, Otter.

Just a single question. Do you have plans to introduce some sort of script negative/positive for players that consume drugs?

User avatar
Zagros
Game Administrator
Game Administrator
Posts: 2492
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 5:41 pm
Ingame name: Damani_Brown
Location: Denmark

Re: Drugs 1.0 - Touching Base & Getting The Act Together

Post by Zagros » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:33 pm

You have been working on a big project, you can't be blamed and I think it's fair that your real-life matters has prevented you in finishing the script in time. Coding isn't an easy work, especially not when it's more hundred lines of code.

Keep up the good work Otter!

.Baker.
Game Administrator
Posts: 7226
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:54 pm
Ingame name: Robert Tillman
Location: Wales

Re: Drugs 1.0 - Touching Base & Getting The Act Together

Post by .Baker. » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:48 pm

Keep up the work Otter.

User avatar
Topiyo
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Posts: 3579
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Drugs 1.0 - Touching Base & Getting The Act Together

Post by Topiyo » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:27 pm

Dope update. Waiting to see some drugs @FM!

User avatar
Farrell
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Posts: 2801
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:00 pm
Ingame name: Dzhokhar Dudayev

Re: Drugs 1.0 - Touching Base & Getting The Act Together

Post by Farrell » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:33 pm

Glad to see an update like this come through but it seems like it's brought back the lag again.

Locked

Return to “Announcements”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users