Damage to occupants of vehicles (with weapons)

Moderators: Game Admins, LS-RP Testers, Junior Developers, Lead Admins, Web Developers, Developers

bulo
Gangster
Gangster

Damage to occupants of vehicles (with weapons)

Post by bulo » Fri May 08, 2015 1:53 pm

I wasn't sure whether to put this suggestion under Weapons & Drugs or Vehicles, but it's combat related so I'll put it here.

Basically, if you're the victim of a drive-by, the only way you can really defend yourself is by taking cover and trying to destroy the attacking vehicle, or get headshots on the occupants (which isn't really feasible.)

My suggestion is that if you shoot at a car from the side (and hit the doors), the people inside the car have a (reasonably high) chance of taking damage from shrapnel and ricochets/penetrating shots. Just like you would in real life, if someone dumped an M4 mag into the flank of your SUV.

I'm sure it's possible, but not so sure it wouldn't take quite a few calculations on every shot.

Either way, a feature like this would remove that element of invincibility from people doing drive-bys, especially if the driver is killed. Bear in mind we're not talking one shot to the driver, we're talking multiple hits from an SMG or AR, so it wouldn't be necessarily "OP". The attack would probably need to be anticipated.

Feedback welcome

t0m!
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Ingame name: True Empire Conqueror

Re: Damage to occupants of vehicles (with weapons)

Post by t0m! » Mon May 11, 2015 5:55 pm

I support this. It'd be more realistic for drive-bying RP and the car already have strength systems if you upgrade it at vehicle dealer.

$treets
Mafia
Mafia
Ingame name: God body

Post by $treets » Fri May 15, 2015 5:02 am

Absoultely support this.

Countless amounts of occupants have died after receiving gun fire from outside the vehicle they were in. For God's sake, Tupac and Biggie Smalls were gunned down in the exact same manner of this suggestion topic.

Although, this may be impossible script wise. I don't think nothing can be done to not make a car explode under gun fire if the engine is on.

bulo
Gangster
Gangster

Post by bulo » Fri May 15, 2015 8:59 pm

$treets wrote:-snip-

Although, this may be impossible script wise. I don't think nothing can be done to not make a car explode under gun fire if the engine is on.

Definitely possible, whether it's practical is the problem.

EASTLOS
Gangster
Gangster

Post by EASTLOS » Sun May 17, 2015 7:56 pm

Supporting to follow this suggestion. Would be realistic, as AR-15 bullets can penetrate through a vehicle's door and hit the passenger, and both driver.
EAST LOS RIFA XIII

Buster
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Ingame name: Buster_Test

Post by Buster » Mon May 18, 2015 3:59 am

Very neat and great suggestion. For an instance, especially during armed pursuits and someone is driveby'ing cops. The only way to stop it is by shooting the vehicle for it to be disabled OR by shooting the driver which is pretty much the ONLY choice.

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God."
- Matthew 5:9 -

$treets
Mafia
Mafia
Ingame name: God body

Post by $treets » Mon May 18, 2015 6:58 am

$treets wrote:Countless amounts of occupants have died after receiving gun fire from outside the vehicle they were in. For God's sake, Tupac and Biggie Smalls were gunned down in the exact same manner of this suggestion topic.
engine is on.

Another famous rapper gunned downed today from bullets through the car.
R.I.P. to Chinx
Chinx: show
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinx
Last edited by Bully on Tue May 19, 2015 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Warning was issued - No spamming.

bulo
Gangster
Gangster

Post by bulo » Tue May 26, 2015 5:17 pm

Also, with the introduction of synced windows, it might be worth suggesting the ability to permanently shoot out windows.
So if you hit a car from the side multiple times, there's a chance one of the windows will disappear and not come back until the car is repaired. I'd also suggest a floating 3d text label to alert people of a car's damage windows, but that might make things a bit too cluttered.

Mr.Doge
Mafia
Mafia

Post by Mr.Doge » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:07 am

I'd love to see a system in which the occupants of the vehicle die before the vehicle explodes.

Like, heavily increase the health of each car. Almost being bulletproof.

For every 10 dmg taken by the vehicle, a random occupant receives 7 dmg.

IRL, cars don't explode for getting shot. That's just a myth created by Michael Bay.

Padres
Gangster
Gangster

Post by Padres » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:35 am

It would be powergaming if 10 dng on a car would mean 7 hp on any occupant.

I can't find a good solution for the issue with occupants being able to be hit but exploding cars bug me alot. In real life the chance is so high that a car does not explode, no matter what. I dunno if its possible but it would be great if cars would be limited as minimum to 250 HP since 249 would make it explode scriptwise.
VINCENT RENZULLI - LSPD

bulo
Gangster
Gangster

Post by bulo » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:44 pm

Padres wrote:It would be powergaming if 10 dng on a car would mean 7 hp on any occupant.

I can't find a good solution for the issue with occupants being able to be hit but exploding cars bug me alot. In real life the chance is so high that a car does not explode, no matter what. I dunno if its possible but it would be great if cars would be limited as minimum to 250 HP since 249 would make it explode scriptwise.

Powergaming my ass. Most modern cars are incredibly thin, made with relatively durable alloys and lots of structural support/crumple zones. A .45 round from a handgun will go through a car door and still maintain veritably deadly velocities. The only problem is making sure that the players are in the path of your bullets (can probably be done by checking a car's position and checking where you're aiming, then approximating how close your round would be to hitting. If you're close, there's a chance shrapnel/ricochets/penetrations hit you.) Job done

Mr.Doge
Mafia
Mafia

Post by Mr.Doge » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:13 am

bulo wrote:
Padres wrote:It would be powergaming if 10 dng on a car would mean 7 hp on any occupant.

Powergaming my ass. Most modern cars are incredibly thin, made with relatively durable alloys and lots of structural support/crumple zones. A .45 round from a handgun will go through a car door and still maintain veritably deadly velocities. The only problem is making sure that the players are in the path of your bullets (can probably be done by checking a car's position and checking where you're aiming, then approximating how close your round would be to hitting. If you're close, there's a chance shrapnel/ricochets/penetrations hit you.) Job done

I think that the double checkin' of the bullet trayectory is impossible in SAMP.

I said the reduced damage factor because most of the bullet would be slowed down by the car frame, reducing its damaging capabilities. Secondly, I said the random factor because, behind the bullet damage, the damage of shrapnel is the most deadly effect during a shootout and the metal pieces are blown up randomly.

I'unno if I explained myself clearly.

bulo
Gangster
Gangster

Post by bulo » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:40 am

Mr.Doge wrote:
bulo wrote:

I think that the double checkin' of the bullet trayectory is impossible in SAMP.

I said the reduced damage factor because most of the bullet would be slowed down by the car frame, reducing its damaging capabilities. Secondly, I said the random factor because, behind the bullet damage, the damage of shrapnel is the most deadly effect during a shootout and the metal pieces are blown up randomly.

I'unno if I explained myself clearly.

There was a function added in .3z that can be used to check bullet trajectories

As for the bullets slowing down, this really isn't the case. You can shoot through a car door and have it come out of the door on the opposite side and it'll still be going fast enough to break skin. After only one door a bullet will generally still be deadly, especially with the spalling of metal panels.

The only thing that can really immediately stop a bullet, with regards to a car, is an engine block.

Mr.Doge
Mafia
Mafia

Post by Mr.Doge » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:01 am

bulo wrote:
There was a function added in .3z that can be used to check bullet trajectories

Then, what're we waitin' for?

It's a tough suggestion, but a good one. It'll stop the bulletproof drive bys and add some chance to fight back.

Mofujohn
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Mofujohn » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:58 am

Not sure what you're trying to suggest here. You want the passengers in the car doing the drive-by to be able to take damage from people shooting back at the car?

You already take damage if your car is shot at and the bullet hits you.
Couple of days back someone fired an AK47 into my car and I went from like 240hp to 90hp.

Return to “Weapons & Drugs Suggestions”