[GUIDE] Roleplaying a Filipino-American

Find all sorts of guides created by our community here. Includes guides such as drug use, roleplaying different types of characters, weapons etc.

Moderators: Game Admins, LS-RP Testers, Player Support Mods, Lead Admins

Forum rules
The guides you see here have been unofficially created by the players, for the players. LSRP cannot be held responsible for the accuracy of any of the content you see here.
vaininsanity
Mafia
Mafia

[GUIDE] Roleplaying a Filipino-American

Post by vaininsanity » Fri May 24, 2019 7:43 pm

This is a topic on how to roleplay Filipino, we'll get right into two topics.

I. Understanding the Culture

History

People have lived in the Philippines since the dawn of human history. Originally, the various islands were populated by competing tribes, each with their own king or queen. In 1521, the explorer Magellan claimed the islands for Spain and colonization began in 1565. Manila was established as the capital of what was then known was the Spanish East Indies in 1571.

Spanish rule brought Catholicism to the area, with missionaries establishing churches, schools, hospitals, universities and largely displacing the previously entrenched Hindu, Islamic and Buddhist faiths. Free education was introduced in 1863, but did not take off until much later.

Residents were obligated to defend against internal revolts by indigenous groups, as well as attacks from the Dutch and Portuguese. Free trade was introduced during the 19th century which brought wealth to the population. Evidence of Spanish rule can be seen across the Philippines, particularly in the plentiful Baroque churches and the walled Intramuros district of Manila.

In 1872, three priests were executed at Bagumbayum (now Rizal Park) for sedition, which sparked a movement for political reform. Early lobbyists were executed, which prompted Andrés Bonifacio to establish a secret society for independence known as the Katipunan, in 1892. The organization gained many members, and Emilio Aguinaldo became leader. 1896 saw the execution of Dr José Rizal which prompted an uprising by the revolutionaries. The Philippines was briefly declared independent by Aguinaldo in 1898, but this was not recognized by America, as it asserted a claim to the islands as a result of the 1898 Treaty of Paris that ended the Spanish-American war.

The Philippine-American war between American soldiers and Filipino revolutionaries lasted from 1899-1902 and resulted in US control of the region, during which literacy increased and freedom of religion was introduced, removing Catholicism’s status as the state religion. America’s promises of independence in 1916 led to the Philippines being granted Commonwealth status in 1935.

However, the Philippines were invaded by Japan during WWII, which was a dark time when over a million Filipinos died. The nation finally regained its independence on July 4, 1946. The challenge of rebuilding was compounded by frequent challenges from rebel groups and communists. In 1965, Ferdinand Marcos was elected president. He introduced martial law to retain power in 1972, from which time he persecuted rivals and ruled by decree.

Culture
The culture of the Philippines comprises a blend of traditional Filipino and Spanish Catholic traditions, with influences from America and other parts of Asia. The Filipinos are family oriented and often religious with an appreciation for art, fashion, music and food.

Filipinos are also hospitable people who love to have a good time. This often includes getting together to sing, dance, and eat. The annual calendar is packed with festivals, many of which combine costumes and rituals from the nation’s pre-Christian past with the Catholic beliefs and ideology of present day.

Americanized Filipinos

The first recorded presence of Filipinos in what is now the United States dates back to October 1587 around Morro Bay, California, with the first permanent settlement in Louisiana in 1763, with small settlements beginning in the 18th century.

Parents see the Americas as a land of opportunity, they believe that the "American Life" is the highest standard form of life, back in the homeland, if you live in America, you're immediately heiled as a rich person, or a rich kid, Basketball also became popular back home too, they used to play basketball around their "varrios" or "barangays" having ligas, or "little leagues" til now, if you're roleplaying as a Filipino, you'll most likely end up loving Basketball if you're RP'ing as one, however, that only depends on your character.

We take Fiestas or Holidays in the Philippines very seriously, parents would make lots of food and eat during these holidays, like Christmas, or New Years Eve, where they would play with their toy trumpets and honk their horn, the Filipino Families love using KTV, Koreans influenced us from within, more than anything else, by having so many of them study in our schools. The same goes for nearly every other culture at this point that has managed to influence us. America is the only exception to that.

We search for their movies, their TV shows, and search for their influence no matter where they are.

The Filipino-Americans are the second largest ethnic group in the Americas, just after the Chinese-Americans, and their gang influence on the US is very high, gangs such as Bahala Na Gang, Satanas, Asian Boyz, and Filipinos in Blood Sets, Pinoy Real, and other gangs, BNG sets are spread around San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco Bay area, Stockton, Sacramento as well as the Las Vegas area in Nevada, just like other gangs, they are in used to back up the drug trafficking and weapon trafficking operations of the gang bosses. Younger members, however, are the ones most likely to commit violent acts to prove themselves. Outside of drug and weapon trafficking rings gang, members are involved in murder, robbery and kidnapping among others.

II. Roleplaying a Filipino-American

Roleplaying a Filipino-American is easy, from understanding the culture and history, you could learn from the ethnicity that they love their filipino food alot, they engage in fiestas, they engage in alot of basketball games and watch other shows from other Asian countries, but, that depends on your character, that's what Filipino-Americans generally do, Fili-Ams usually return to their hometown's in their province in their country with their families to celebrate the holidays.

Understand that you don't need to do all this and your character is human, you can.

- Go to a concert
- Hang out with friends, drink with them (Filipinos generally drink alot).
- Your character gets into some illegal activities for some money to send back home.
- They do chores given by their parents or they're given a beating
- Go to school (RP'ly)
- Get a legal job (Depends on your character)
- Go to church (filipino's are generally God-fearing) people.

You CAN roleplay a very young teenager. In fact, I wouldn't advise against it, it my opinion, if you're roleplaying a fil-am gangbanger, what is very bottom-heavy right now which is why I'm promoting a char-wide age-up to bring players up from fifteen year old gang members to early-mid twenty year old gang members to better reflect the type of faction which we want to impress. With that said, anything from ages 14 to 24 can make sense. If you choose to roleplay an older character, you'll get more respect/liking from older gang members. If you choose to roleplay younger, you'll get that respect/liking from other younger characters. We do our best to represent that diversity.

- One of my favorite things to do. And a major part of writing, that I try and bring into roleplay, is building a believable character. Too many people go into roleplaying a character and have no idea what their character is like or even where they're from. A few key things I always figure out when making a new character:
- Where they were born.
- Where they grew up.
- If they had any siblings
- If anything traumatic happened in their childhood (Jazmin Villanueva had Leukemia as a kid, therefore hated needles. Molly had some traumatic shit in her childhood and is scared.)
- How they ended up where they are now.
- Scars and their stories.

Those are the basics to get you started. Know what sets your character off. People complain about "Robocops" on the server, but anyone can be labeled a "Robot", including criminals. I've roleplayed on both sides and yelling "FUCK THE POLICE" as soon as they roll up without them having done something wrong is generally just as bad.
A few more things taken from various websites:
Mannerisms. Does your character have a nervous tick? Do they snort when they laugh too hard? Do they stutter over certain words? Does he/she chew on their hoodie string when they're bored?
Habits. Does your character have to have a certain drink each day when they wake up? Do they insist on eating food at a certain time?
Feelings. This is one that too many people try and skip over. Does your character get into a 10x better mood when a certain song comes on? If they see someone die, do they do anything special? (I once had an SD Char that would say the lord's prayer).
What/Who is important to them? What do they value?
Of course some of these things change as time goes on, but as you start a character, you should have the groundwork laid out for what they are, and develop it over time. Just as people change over time IRL.

Sometimes if I'm stuck on what I'm doing with my character, I fill out some character surveys to get a general feel.

Carrozza
Mafia
Mafia

Re: [GUIDE] Roleplaying a Filipino-American

Post by Carrozza » Fri May 24, 2019 7:48 pm

Nice.
I could have been a mental patient.

Fourty
Wannabe Mafia
Wannabe Mafia
Ingame name: Boogie

Re: [GUIDE] Roleplaying a Filipino-American