[Guide] How to Drive Properly

Find all sorts of guides created by our community here. Includes guides such as drug use, roleplaying different types of characters, weapons etc.

Moderators: Game Admins, LS-RP Testers, Player Support Mods, Lead Admins

Forum rules
The guides you see here have been unofficially created by the players, for the players. LSRP cannot be held responsible for the accuracy of any of the content you see here.
Drunkeeh
King of Los Santos
King of Los Santos
Ingame name: Michael Birdman

[Guide] How to Drive Properly

Post by Drunkeeh » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:08 pm

How to Drive Properly

As I have already noticed during my time on LSRP, many players are unable to drive properly and those who can't drive are always saying the good drivers that they are driving so slow and can't drive, if someone told you that, don't worry, you're doing good, those who told you that, can't drive properly.
In this guide I'll explain every possible thing while driving on LSRP roads with a photo to each explanation as possible. This guide is In-Chacarter and Out-of-Character.

Starting to drive

In order to start driving from a parking place, you must check twice if there're no vehicles on the road you're going to start the driving. If there's a vehicle driving on the road, do not start the drive, just wait until the vehicle will pass the area around your vehicle, if there're are than one vehicle, wait until the area is clean, in some cases, the drivers on the road may stop and let you start to drive as they probably need your parking spot. In case there are no vehicles at all, you're good to start to drive. Once you start, enter the road with a low speed and make sure the road is clean and safe, you can't know from where a speeding vehicle will come from.
Please note that 99% of the times without stopping at intersection will cause an accident.

The Road Lanes

As every driver must know, you must stick always to the right lane and not on the left lane, if you're driving in the left lane, means you're passing a slower vehicle on who is driving in the right lane and is not pulling over to let you pass. To your own knowledge, driving on the left lane is illegal and extremely dangerous to yourself and to other drivers on the road. If you want to move to the left lane, you must have a good reason to do so, there are many possible reasons for driving in the left lane, but police and sheriff's departments won't accept any of the reasons as it is illegal and forbidden. Driving in the left lane is possible once the right lane is blocked and closed by the police or sheriffs department and the left lane is supervised by the departments. It is also allowed to drive on the left lane, when the road got more than than one lane in the same direction, for example: Highways, Market Street, Main Stree, Rodeo, Mullholand and et cetera. In that kind of roads, you're allowed to drive on the left lane in the same direction that you're currently on, but usually the left lane is for faster speed and turning left at the intersections. While driving on the road with two lanes to same direction, make sure you're driving on the right lane, and if you move to the left lane make sure you have a reason, for example, the next turn is left, taking over a vehicle or any other possible reasons. Driving in the left lane on road with two lanes in same direction is allowed and not forbidden, you may use the lane anytime you wish, even if you have no specific reason, and if possible make that lane to be your last option.

ImageImage

Making Correct Turns at the Intersection

In any kind of road, if you wish to make a right turn, stick to the right side as possible and of course on the right lane if the road has two lanes in the same direction, and stick to the right side until the end of the turn and you're safe on the road. It is actually the same procedure by making a left turn, you have to stick to the left side of the lane and on the left lane if the road has two lanes in the same direction. If you turn right from from a road with two lanes and two directions you have to finish the turn on the right lane even if that road has two lanes for same directions. If you turn left from from a road with two lanes and two directions you have to finish the turn on the left lane even if that road has two lanes for same directions and then return to the right as soon as possible.
At some intersections, there are pavements which are in the middle of the road and drivers are driving on them while driving somewhere, for example, in Verona Beach road, Santa Maria Beach road, Rodeo, East Los Santos and even Mullholand Parking lot. You're not allowed to drive on these pavements, this is forbidden and dangerous to you and other drivers, and only emergency services are allowed to pass on the pavements.

ImageImageImage

Driving Speed

As it is already stated on the Penal Code, there are specific driving speeds that are allowed in some kinds of road. The maximum allowed speed on roads inside Los Santos is 110 KMH or 68 MPH. The maximum allowed speed on the roads outside Los Santos is 130 KMH or 81 MPH. The maximum allowed speed on roads at any state, county, or locally maintained road with four or more lanes is 150 KMH or 94 MPH. All the time you're driving, you must stay on a reasonable speed at any weather condition or even a damaged road. A driver who fails to show a use of fair judgment in their speed or just exceeds the allowed speed on the road is making an infraction and will receive a fine of $2,000 from the police or sheriffs department.

Two Lanes, Two Direction - Intersection Explanation

Around Los Santos, Las Venturas, and San Fierro there are a few big intersections with four lanes total from each of the four directions (North, South, West, East). Each four lanes got two lanes to a different direction. At the intersection, you're not allowed to make random turns, for example, turning right from the left lane, this is dangerous and forbidden and can cause a car accident. In order to make proper turns in that type of intersection, follow the next points:
  • On the right lane you are allowed to turn right as explained before.
  • On the right lane you are allowed to keep straight and stay in the same lane after passing the intersection.
  • On the left lane you are allowed to turn left as explained before.
  • On the left lane you are allowed to keep straight and stay in the same lane after passing the intersection and if possible return to the right lane.
You may find sometimes a same type of intersections, but one or two of the roads have only two lanes, one lane in each direction, in that case, follow the next points:
  • Keeping straight at the intersection TO a 1 direction lane is allowed from the left lane.
  • Making a left turn TO a 1 direction lane is allowed from the left lane to the right lane.
  • Making a right turn TO a 1 direction lane is allowed from the right lane only.
Failure to follow these points is dangerous to you and the other drivers on the road.

ImageImage

Stopping at Every Intersection

You're required to stop at every intersection and give the way to other drivers, it is for your own and other drivers' safety. If you will continue driving without stopping or at least slowing down, you can cause an accident and even get fined for not yielding. In some roads at intersections, they have no any intersection line. In case of an intersection without a line, you may continue driving without stopping, but it is still highly recommended to stop, yield, and continue has had a line, if you're not stopped, you must at least slow down to a minimum possible speed, check twice and continue. While stopping and yielding, do not trust other drivers, make sure the road is clean and safe to continue.

ImageImageImage

Emergency Stops

While driving around Los Santos or just whole San Andreas, you would find some cases that you have to stop the vehicle immediately. It can happen any day, any time, any moment. It can happen by you, or by anyone else. The emergency stops are usually when something random happens and do avoid a car accident. If you have no choice but to make an emergency stop, please make sure no one is on high speed behind you, if there's no vehicles behind, continue with a normal hard brake stop, if there's a vehicle behind, avoid making a straight hard brake, make a small turn to the right or left (as you feel more careful way) and then hard brake.
Emergency stops can happen if you notice a vehicle driving into the intersection without stopping and you're currently in the middle of the intersection, it can be when there's suddenly a pursuit of the road you're driving and you have no choice but make an emergency stop to avoid an accident.

Emergency Vehicles on the Road

Every driver must know that if any emergency vehicle having a siren and the lights working they have any possible emergency situation that they must respond as soon as possible. If you hear sirens and you see the lights behind you, always check quickly if the emergency vehicle is behind you by looking at the mirrors inside and on the sides of the car. If the emergency vehicles are indeed behind you, you have a few main options:
  • If you are on the right lane move to the right side as possible and give the way to the emergency vehicle, stop the vehicle if needed.
  • If you are in the left lane, stop the vehicle as soon as possible, make sure the emergency vehicle won't crash into you while passing with high speed, if you feel that the emergency vehicle is about to crash into you, you can slide to the opposite lane or move to the right lane as fast as possible.
  • You are not allowed to drive behind an emergency vehicle with lights and sirens on while the vehicle is driving with high speed, this is against the road laws as you will exceed the speeding limit and disturb the emergency service.
If the emergency vehicle has no lights and / or sirens working, means they have no emergency situation and you can keep driving as usual.

Emergency vehicles can be any kind of: Los Santos Police Department's vehicles, San Andreas Sheriffs Department's vehicles and Los Santos Fire Department's vehicles.

ImageImage

Yield at Crosswalks

Anytime you see a walker is about to cross the road at the crosswalk, make sure you stop in time without running him over. Running someone over is illegal and forbidden, you might get fined and even arrested in some cases. In order to stop correctly at a crosswalk, you have to stop before the line and not after. Stopping after the crosswalk line can just block the walker's way and disturb him. You must stop always at the corsswalks in case you see someone is about to cross and already crossing the road. You can continue your way on the road after the walker passed the lane you are currently driving on.

Phone While Driving

In order to drive safe, and not cause an accident or just disturb the road users, do not speak or text while you're in the middle of the road behind the steering wheel. If you wish to talk on the phone or just text someone, please pull over on the right side of the road, so other drivers can pass, and do your stuff with the phone. If you decide to text or just talk in the middle of the road, it will just move your attention from the road to the phone and can easily cause an accident. If you want to drive while talking on the phone, put your found on loudspeaker mode or simply give the phone to your passenger, this is the best solution.

Driving Through a Parking lot, Alleys and More
(Credits to norrig for the idea)

As you may have noticed, many drivers are used to drive into parking lots in an illegal way from one point of the lot and exit it on the other side and make a shortcut instead of going properly and legally as the road leads. This is not just driving through parking lots illegally, drivers are even going driving on sidewalks, and alleys in order to make the way shorter. It is not allowed and can cause an accident in case of a couple of vehicles are going in the same alley or other place facing each to each other or simply crash into a parked vehicle, or even hit a pedestrian or someone else who is currently in the place and you might not notice him. Do not go those ways, it's dangerous for you and you may put other lives in danger too.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Parking Properly

In order to park properly, you must make sure about a few things:
  • Parking is allowed in that area.
  • Available parking spots if it's a parking lot.
  • Parking the vehicle won't disturb the other drivers.
There are a few parking types, the parking can be on the side of the road, or a parking lot. Parking in a parking lot is always allowed and is not forbidden, you have the right to park in any parking lot except private garages, driveways, and emergency's staff parking areas. Also, you're not allowed to block a parking slot even if there's a parked vehicle or not. You're allowed to park on sidewalks only if it is near a business without parking lot or at any other place if it is not disturbing the people who walk on the sidewalk and other drivers. If a police officer or a deputy sheriff asks you to move the vehicle, move it at the moment you was told to do so.

ImageImageImageImage

Feel free to notify me if I have any errors or you have any possible thing that I can add to that guide, go ahead in a reply or even a forum PM, every feedback is accepted.

© This guide was created by Drunkeeh, any copy of the text or photos must be provided with credit.

Last edited by Drunkeeh on Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:35 am, edited 6 times in total.

IhaveNoName
LANGFORD
LANGFORD
Ingame name: D Collins - A Langford

Re: [Guide] How to Drive Properly

Post by IhaveNoName » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:39 pm

Amazing guide, great effort! :D

Yang_Shao_Lin
Gangster
Gangster

Post by Yang_Shao_Lin » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:02 pm

Homie - I'm made for drift? What's lane and intersection? I can't get it :D
Tho', amazing!

Drunkeeh
King of Los Santos
King of Los Santos

Post by Drunkeeh » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:30 pm

Yang_Shao_Lin wrote:Homie - I'm made for drift? What's lane and intersection? I can't get it :D
Tho', amazing!
IhaveNoName wrote:Amazing guide, great effort! :D

Thank you guys.
Added also Emergency Stops.

Yang_Shao_Lin
Gangster
Gangster

Post by Yang_Shao_Lin » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:31 pm

That's my elegy tho! :P

Drunkeeh
King of Los Santos
King of Los Santos

Post by Drunkeeh » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:54 pm

Yang_Shao_Lin wrote:That's my elegy tho! :P

Well, yeah, thank you.

Added Yield at Crosswalk.

NCIS
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Ingame name: Adriano_Gonzales

Post by NCIS » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:38 pm

Nice job, I like the tutorial. It's simple, yet useful. Also, great amount of effort put into this. Once again, awesome job.
RETIRED LS-RP TESTER

King Ghali
Spam Machine
Spam Machine

Post by King Ghali » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:44 pm

lmao, cant believe there's a 'how to drive' guide :lol:

great effort man, hopefully ppl will learn
لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله

Padres
Gangster
Gangster

Post by Padres » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:55 am

IlanMan wrote:Please note that 99% of the times without stopping at intersection will cause an accident.

I believe you man :lol:
VINCENT RENZULLI - LSPD

Drunkeeh
King of Los Santos
King of Los Santos

Post by Drunkeeh » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:23 am

Thank you guys.
Padres wrote:
IlanMan wrote:Please note that 99% of the times without stopping at intersection will cause an accident.

I believe you man :lol:

Too bad that's the truth. 8)

.Hoffman
Silver Member
Silver Member
Ingame name: Charlie_Hoffman

Post by .Hoffman » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:57 am

Sick as Schidmity

Barnesky
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Ingame name: JB

Post by Barnesky » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:05 am

Great job man and A++ for effort.

There's plenty of people that drive like idiots. I'll be driving around in my Trashmaster or Admiral and always get hit (and damaged to heavenly HELL) because someone is going top speed through an intersection (after I've checked both ways) or even get slammed by someone passing me. It's not a big deal for me but people need to start driving a little more realistically.. been in so many accidents that they usually void 90% of them.

Drunkeeh
King of Los Santos
King of Los Santos

Post by Drunkeeh » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:09 am

Malmstrom wrote:Great job man and A++ for effort.

There's plenty of people that drive like idiots. I'll be driving around in my Trashmaster or Admiral and always get hit (and damaged to heavenly HELL) because someone is going top speed through an intersection (after I've checked both ways) or even get slammed by someone passing me. It's not a big deal for me but people need to start driving a little more realistically.. been in so many accidents that they usually void 90% of them.

Thanks.
Basically that's the reason why I decided to create this.

badritoyio
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Ingame name: Badr

Post by badritoyio » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:19 pm

I see effort put in.

casualmind
Flowers City Casual
Flowers City Casual
Ingame name: Dustin Neil

Post by casualmind » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:33 am

This one must to be implemented in-game, because some players driving like an animal, pfft.
Retired.

Return to “Player-Created Guides”