The Ultimate Advertising System

Moderators: Game Admins, LS-RP Testers, Junior Developers, Lead Admins, Web Developers, Developers

ph0enix.
Wannabe Mafia
Wannabe Mafia
Ingame name: Lincoln Blackburn

Re: The Ultimate Advertising System

Post by ph0enix. » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:22 pm

This is like the MOST requested thing on LsRp right now, everybody wants a new advertising system. This has to be forwarded.

STRONK4LIFE
Gangster
Gangster
Ingame name: weed

Post by STRONK4LIFE » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:48 pm

YES.

I've seen a similar system on a different server and it worked like a charm. I hate having to wait 15 minutes or more to get in a single ad.
"They ask us why we mutilate each other like we do
And they wonder why we hold such little worth for human life,
But to ask us why we turn from bad to worse
Is to ignore from which we came."

GhostOfProtocol
State Senator
Ingame name: Jackson Lockhart

Post by GhostOfProtocol » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:56 pm

TheLegitHabibi wrote:Yes, this will eliminate "on spot advertisements". In return we give everyone to advertise by putting in a "0 second effort". I'm not a fan of the current clogged up system we have.

Just like you said, businesses hire professionals and spend extra money. They can send advertisers ahead of time or even hire more than one. It's not going to ruin businesses with this system. You'll just have to change the way you do things.

This entire "monopoly" thing with Alhambra spamming their opening while 20 people are waiting to sell and buy cars is something I'm against.

People should not have to wait over 30 minutes to post an ad. There shouldn't be a "most effort" gets to post the ad.
Longest I ever waited was a little over four hours to post an ad, every time I tried to be polite and ask for one ad someone else with gold would sprint up, post an ad, run off and then it would be back to the wait.

I love this suggestion for that reason, but I would also make two changes. Get rid of the paid donators get to do three ads in the queue. It's unfair for people who have money to get this while the rest of the average server doesn't get a chance to do this. I would also put a minute wait between ads to avoid spam, or give a /togad option.

DONT TREAD ON ME
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by DONT TREAD ON ME » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:31 pm

GhostOfProtocol wrote:Longest I ever waited was a little over four hours to post an ad.
That's the biggest exaggeration/half truth I've seen since I stopped watching videos of Hillary Clinton performing acts for gun control in the US.

Even the peak time on the server from 2300 to 0100 does not take that long and that is generally when "professional advertisers" spam their keybinds. I've never had to wait even five minutes to place an ad and that is without any keybinds, also I have never donated money for the server.

As for the actual suggestion, I do not have anything against this being implemented as it does decrease the amount of the generic "/ad X club now open!" spam which is generally a good thing as there is no way to toggle advertisements.

Only negatives I see is that business need to plan just a little bit forward to place an ad which obviously is not too much to ask.

+ I also believe that this is not hard to be scripted in as it only requires a simple queue system and replaces an existing script which should not clog up the server with needless scripts.
-

Zuthrex
Special Snowflake
Special Snowflake
Ingame name: Bad_Roleplayer

Post by Zuthrex » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:53 pm

Storing strings in Pawn takes a lot of memory, especially on a larger scale. Mmartin can probably explain better, but let me explain the basics of how pawn works and what you'd be doing, essentially, in this system (unless you did it dynamically somehow?)

- Allocate, at runtime, an array of character arrays (a 2 dimensional array of characters) assuming each ad can be up to 144 characters

Code: Select all

#define MAX_ADVERTISEMENTS (500)
new AdQueue[MAX_ADVERTISEMENTS][144]
On a 32-bit system, a cell is 4 bytes and on a 64-bit system it's 8 bytes. Each cell holds 4 characters including null terminators and white space.
500 * 144 = 72000 bytes /4 = 18000 bytes, or 72 kilobytes of information stored in a pre-allocated linked-list at peak time. Each time you update this, you would have to pop the item at position 1 and move all other items up a slot (since Pawn doesn't have built-in linked lists).
I am but a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Carry forth my legacy, children of the flame, for my time here is finished.

Gallardo
Spam Machine
Spam Machine
Ingame name: Amanda_Morrow

Post by Gallardo » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:14 am

Forwarded.
Peace.
Gallardo ĻŸ Ex In-Game Lead Admin
Ex Head of Ticket Support
About Me | Private Message | IRC: <Gallardo>

Davis
Game Admin & Developer

Post by Davis » Sat May 27, 2017 2:20 am

Code: Select all

Additions: - New Advertisement System (Davis)
I've reworked the entire system recently, if you have any suggestions for improvements to this system, please forum PM me. Moving to implemented.
Level 3 Game Admin
Gamemode Developer

šŸ”„

Return to ā€œImplemented Suggestionsā€