Forum for General LS-RP discussion.

Moderators: FM, Game Admins, Lead Admins

Jonathan Vain
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Ingame name: Yung Trell

General decline in roleplay

Post by Jonathan Vain » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:45 pm

Anybody around that was playing 5+ years ago? I feel like there is a general decline in the quality of roleplay on the server. I understand you don't have to type every /me into a beautiful symphony with elegant words to describe tossing a cup into a trashcan. Yet I don't see how the server has got to where people don't even roleplay driving. I mean I watched a taxi driver run down the sidewalk because somebody was stopped for two seconds. Rather than slowing down and waiting he plows down the side walk like wtf? This use to be a hard-core roleplay server to the point when I joined I felt like I couldn't keep it. Now it's like people barely put forth any effort.

I know I'm not the best roleplayer but I try to simulate realism when IC. Even if it's driving up the street or hanging around with friends in game. I don't play any other RP servers on SAMP but after being in game the past week or so I can't confidently say this server isn't what it use to be and in addition I would like to ask when and where the server started to decline and why you think so?

Chicken Bargain
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Ingame name: Jevonte Glover

Re: General decline in roleplay

Post by Chicken Bargain » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:33 am

I tend to think that it has do with time going by. Different chapters of LSRP might have to do with it. You r from 2010. You were in another chapter. 2019 is a whole new chapter. I don't believe there is a real decline. People just need to learn and for those people who already know, they aren't bad at all. I been here since 2011. I use to think this server sucked. But when you mentally decided to give it a chance, you will receive. Nothing has changed besides the numbers of people online.
I drink and I know things

Bashkirov
Spam Machine
Spam Machine

Post by Bashkirov » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:10 am

Role play has gotten much better in some aspects. The SD and the LSPD has improved drastically because of people who value RP. I think the people you described such as the taxi driver have ALWAYS been an issue. There's nothing really changed. The main problem with RP right now is that people always try to be the exact same, and anything that drives away from the main thing is sometimes seen as poor RP because "you wouldn't do that IRL!" even though it's perfectly plausible. This is still very much a hardcore RP server. I feel like you're looking back with rose tinted glasses.

LSRP does have a lot of problems at the moment, but bad role players are only a small portion of the problems right now. The main thing you can do is be the change you want to see. Influence other players to do what you'd like them to do. More often than not, role playing with a newer player in a way you'd want to be role played with will result in good interactions. Sometimes it backfires, but that's just how it is. There are good role players out there, though. Some people just don't want to try, because they think "why bother? everyone's shit anyway. nobody wants to rp properly, so neither do I" and that's wrong.
People slip in the shower and fall on a knife like sixty five times every now and then.

Liquicity
State Senator
State Senator

Post by Liquicity » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:35 am

I wouldn't agree on general decline in role-play quality as it it has actually gotten better on the quality vs. quantity scale. You'll see less inexperienced role-players nowadays than back then. As for driving, LS-RP has always been that way in my opinion. Some people bother too much with realism to the point where if you don't fit their own version of it, they'll regard what you do as unrealistic and therefore substandard although you've done nothing wrong whatsoever.

Also, road laws aren't regarded that much and traffic enforcement isn't a priority for most, but that's just because of the game's dynamics as one of the few things you can physically do in this game is drive, and do a lot of it. But Merca narrowed it above so there's nothing much anybody else can say except just be the change you want to see and role-play to the best of your ability and you'll eventually enjoy yourself.

Dan beaver
Mafia
Mafia

Post by Dan beaver » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:02 am

There have always been people who drive recklessly. I don't think it's more prevalent now than it was years ago. Admins kick people for non-RP driving, so it's not the standard. The best thing you can do is report it when you see it.

Jonathan Vain
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Ingame name: Yung Trell

Post by Jonathan Vain » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:41 am

Good points. Since I've been back I've been involved with some good, fun, intense roleplay. So maybe I was in the moment of being upset from the reckless driver when I said "General decline in RP". Good points from everyone

dzgapaan
Spam Machine
Spam Machine
Ingame name: Jonathan_Baccarini

Post by dzgapaan » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:20 am

Old players are leaving while new comers are taking over the server. They'll need some time to learn and adapt to the hard-core RP. However, if we take in account legal civilian and governmental factions then role-play has improved a lot.

Chicken Bargain
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Chicken Bargain » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:17 am

dzgapaan wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:20 am
Old players are leaving while new comers are taking over the server. They'll need some time to learn and adapt to the hard-core RP. However, if we take in account legal civilian and governmental factions then role-play has improved a lot.
All the old heads and admins need to really teach new people for real though. A server could ruined if not saturated quickly.

74 Nights Crazy
Civilian
Civilian

Post by 74 Nights Crazy » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:47 am

No one likes to roleplay up to date. Everyone's stuck in the past. Let the past go.

Chicken Bargain
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Chicken Bargain » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:59 am

It really is what the community makes it. If the everyone thinks LS-RP is shitty then it will be shitty. If we let it live and try to make the server enjoyable to all. It will be a great place to roleplay. I think there should be some command and system revamps in some areas, but not sure if it will happen or not.

One thing I noticed is the number of really solid active factions that aren't official. I look through the thread and people are posting constant screens every five minutes. When I look for a specific nonofficial faction it is always down a couple posts from the most recent posts. That is something I've never seen before. Almost seeing more nonofficial factions more active than official ones which are actually cool to see for a change.

Fitzy
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Fitzy » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:19 am

I've been playing here on and off since 2008. I can confidently say that the quality of roleplay is miles ahead of where it was when I first started here, and I've also been very impressed with what I've seen so far since returning recently.

It's funny because every single year I've seen at least one (and probably many more) of these threads popping up, bemoaning that things just aren't what they used to be. Each generation of players seems to have a certain sense of nostalgia for an earlier time, but often times they are looking at the past with rose-tinted glasses. I guess that's just human nature.

FamousCEO
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by FamousCEO » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:08 am

If we were forced to role-play every car crash, I'd be spending more time on car crashes and more money in the Pay N Spray. Due to people driving with their Elegys and all those sports cars. I haven't been around since 2008/2009, so I can't speak on that. The only thing that has changed within the years is the reasons for killing. Nobody robs their money back, nobody jumps a guy or a group back, nobody really wants to say "Hey, that's my car, give it back!" (Legal role-players most likely do).

Like Bashkirov said above, killing and killing.
Always report someone when they break a rule, blatantly. Because if you done it to them, they'll surely report you.

Bennemus
Head of Testers
Head of Testers
Ingame name: Michael_Gray

Post by Bennemus » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:26 pm

Back in 2010 people wouldn't roleplay driving either. Some people do, some people don't. There's a decline in some areas and a lot of improvements on other areas. You've just been at the wrong place at the wrong time. We've tried to improve the driving through setting up fences where feasible so people won't plow through main streets, etc. But at the end of the day, we're all also looking for some action: we want some aspects of the cops vs. robbers roleplay style, but we also want quality roleplay where nothing major really happens and you can just chill out. I've got a good mixture of both, and I'm enjoying it! Even randomly entering a small bar this other day with 3 people in it lead to some really fun, relaxing roleplay where we'd just talk and drink and it was good.

I wouldn't necessarily say there's a decline in roleplay, it's just different these days :-)
Benjamin
In-game Lead
Head of Testers
About me
Los Santos Roleplay
LS:RP UCP
Ticket Support
Contact Information
Discord: Bennemus#3275

Forum PM

Boss
State Senator
State Senator

Post by Boss » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:32 pm

Fitzy wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:19 am
I've been playing here on and off since 2008. I can confidently say that the quality of roleplay is miles ahead of where it was when I first started here, and I've also been very impressed with what I've seen so far since returning recently.

It's funny because every single year I've seen at least one (and probably many more) of these threads popping up, bemoaning that things just aren't what they used to be. Each generation of players seems to have a certain sense of nostalgia for an earlier time, but often times they are looking at the past with rose-tinted glasses. I guess that's just human nature.
Backed.

Allison Hall
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Allison Hall » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:55 pm

I don't think quality has declined that much over all, but there are some who repeatedly misbehave because they know they can get by with it.
It's what happens when admins kick people for acting out rather than jailing or banning them. I've seen more and more admins just kicking people for what would've been a hefty jail sentence before.

Return to “General Discussions”