[WIP] Userone's Realistic Character Creation Guide

Find all sorts of guides created by our community here. Includes guides such as drug use, roleplaying different types of characters, weapons etc.

Moderators: Game Admins, LS-RP Testers, Player Support Mods, Lead Admins

Forum rules
The guides you see here have been unofficially created by the players, for the players. LSRP cannot be held responsible for the accuracy of any of the content you see here.
Userone
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Ingame name: Michelle Jefferson

[WIP] Userone's Realistic Character Creation Guide

Post by Userone » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:45 pm

Last Updated: 2019-03-05 (Work in Progress)
Userone's Character Creation Guide

What is this?
Many people struggle coming up with their first characters. I'd like to share the way I personally create my characters and provide assistance to new players. This is just one of many methods you could use to make up a character, in this particular sense we focus on what are your character's quirks, what makes them unique and making sure they are grounded in reality.

I am not a know-it-all and despite my intent to help people, there is a possibility of me neglecting to include crucial information, accidentally misleading someone or making other mistakes. In these cases, I encourage you to PM me or reply below with suggestions to contribute to this guide.

This guide is a Work in Progress.
Character
  • Physical Traits
    Recognize how physical traits affect your character's physical abilities, appearance, etc.
    • Biological Sex
      • Male, Female or (extremely rarely) Intersex
        In the vast majority of cases this is a choice between being a biological male or a biological female, however in very rare cases there are people who have ambiguous physical traits (including genitalia), otherwise called intersex (which, according to intersexequality.com, make up .05%) but since I am not educated on the subject I will not address intersex characters. If you roleplay an intersex character, just pick one of the genders which your character most associates with and use that as the baseline.
      • Males are typically stronger and bigger than females(according to a medical study published on ncbi.nlm.nih.gov), however, this doesn't mean that every woman is weaker than every man. Women are very much able to learn physical martial arts, develop muscles and even know how to fight.
      • Females that haven't gone through sterilization and aren’t pregnant will most likely suffer periods. In this tutorial, I won't go into details of roleplaying fertilization or pregnancy, since I personally am not very interested in that aspect of roleplay. My recommendation if you are interested and are unfamiliar with it is to simply look it up (click me to see how!). You are not obligated to roleplay anything you don't feel comfortable roleplaying when it comes to your character. As for physical strength, you can definitely roleplay being big and strong - women do not have to be weak or weaker than an average man. As long as you can justify it with genetics, build, diet and exercise.
      • Prepubescent and Young Teens - Under 15
        While there are no rules that forbid you from roleplaying as young as you wish, even technically allowing you to roleplay a one-year-old, Grand Theft Auto historically has not had any children in their games probably for a good reason. LSRP at the time of writing no longer has Child Protective Services, Middle Schools, High Schools or even Juvenile Detentions(everyone is sent to SACF) and for this reason, I cannot recommend anyone roleplaying a prepubescent child or young teens under 15 on LSRP.
      • Late Teens - Between 16 and 19
        It's rather annoying seeing so many super-rich 19-year-olds on LSRP who "earned it themselves", so if you are roleplaying a rich teen - to be more believable I'd recommend also having rich parents, or better yet - disregarding your OOC wealth in favour of a more believable character to others. In the end, it will mean that your story will become more enjoyable. At this age I recommend going around, making friends, finding part-time jobs. Common trends among late teens are risk-taking, confusion, depression. At this age, many are awkward and try different things. Come up with hobbies that your character might have.
      • Young Adults - 20s
        Around this time it's normal to continue experimenting with different hobbies, looking for work and gaining experience as well as seeking higher education. Different people have different upbringings, so many people will diverge very much at this point and it's impossible to expect people to conform to any standard in their 20s. That being said if you'd like to roleplay a believable 20-year-old - have flaws, flaws are what makes characters memorable.
      • Middle Life Crisis and on...
        Life is too unpredictable to follow a set of stereotypes, but generally speaking, if you'd like to roleplay a super-rich character who earned their money and their living, you should also roleplay an older character to justify the time it took them to earn this money. This isn't by no means a necessity, the beauty of roleplay is the freedom in which you can express your creativity through your characters, but it's an overall more enjoyable experience for everyone when things fit stereotypes and can be easily explained.
    • Ethnicity
      • You're in luck, unlike in real life - you get to choose where your character is born and raised. This will affect many things in their life, perhaps more than is fair:
      • Citizenship.
        Unless born in the US, or unless both parents are US citizens at the moment of birth, your character won't automatically have a US citizenship. This means you won't be able to easily travel into the US or take advantage of rights the US citizens have.
      • Skin Color.
        Depending on your parent's skin color, your skin may be toned differently. Unless you have Michael Jackson money, this cannot be changed. People will judge your character on things that are out of their control, that's real life for you and it may even dictate which group you end up with.
      • Language.
        Depending on the environment you grew up in will affect the languages your character speaks. On LSRP you're technically not allowed to roleplay in languages other than English(using [square brakets] to indicate which language your character is speaking) but most if not all players and even some staff members ignore that rule and commonly use slang of the language they roleplay and believe to be "common knowledge". For this reason, it's recommended you only roleplay in languages you actually know IRL, but it's not necessary. Most of the world is at least bilingual, meaning most people who come to America know how to speak English as well as their native language.
      • Religion or lack thereof
        Many families in the world teach their children some form of religion, be it Christianity(most popular), Buddhism or other religion. This doesn't mean your character needs to be religious or if they're religious they have to follow every religious tradition. But this could be used as a tool to expand on your character's heritage and this could dictate your character's motives.
  • Alignment
    There are many different ways to measure personality, but for the purpose of roleplay I like to reference the alignment chart:
    • The Good, the Bad and the Neutral
      According to easydamus.com/alignment.html:
      Good characters and creatures protect innocent life. Evil characters and creatures debase or destroy innocent life, whether for fun or profit.
      • The Good
        You treat strangers kindly when they ask for help, generally speaking, if you see someone in distress - you will go out of your way to help them if it's not too dangerous for yourself, that being said you could even risk your life to save a life of a stranger.
      • The Bad
        You are a con artist, a fraud, a thief - always looking for ways to cheat people or to hurt them out of their gains, wealth and happiness. Either for your personal satisfaction or for monetary gain.
      • The Neutral
        You are indifferent to the stranger's plight. If it takes minimal effort to help a stranger, you might do so, but you're not putting your neck on the line for them.
    • From Lawful to Chaotic
      No, this doesn't refer just to law as in San Andreas Penal code, again from a real D&D guidelines page on easydamus.com/alignment.html:
      Lawful characters tell the truth, keep their word, respect authority, honor tradition, and judge those who fall short of their duties.
      Chaotic characters follow their consciences, resent being told what to do, favor new ideas over tradition, and do what they promise if they feel like it.
      • Lawful
        You generally don't lie and remain honest with people and show respect to people of authority over them as well as generally understand and follow tradition.
      • Neutral
        You are indifferent to authority or tradition, you just do what you feel like makes sense the most and don't generally have high regard for law or rules if they go against your goals, but you won't go out of your way to break them on purpose if there is another way of obtaining your goal.
      • Chaotic
        You believe in yourself and that you can guide your own path better than other people could, thus you do not respect the authority, the laws or the rules and you do as you please. You may even break the rules for the sake of breaking them just to make a point.
    • Traditional Combinations
      • Lawful Good
        Just a model upstanding citizen.
      • Neutral Neutral (True Neutral)
        Someone who just does what's best for the current situation.
      • Chaotic Evil
        Someone who just does what's best for themselves at expense of others.
    • Non-traditional Combinations
      • Lawful Evil
        Best as a side character to some kind of a conman, a loyal gang member or even just a corrupt cop with messed up morals. While you respect people of authority over you and tradition, you do not have the best intentions at heart and will be happy to take any opportunity you can to profit, even on other's losses. Sympathy, outside of faking it, will barely be shown.
      • Chaotic Good
        While being stubborn about having your own way with things and rationalizing your judgement over the common law and rules everyone else follows - your general intentions are actually good, and you don't intend to abuse other people to con them out of money. You actually go out of your way to help people, yet you can't help it but break the laws and rules.

Background Story
  • Arrival vs Stay
    • Your character needs justification for why they're in Los Santos. Since you first spawn at the airport the natural reaction is to roleplay immigrating here from another locale, but the truth is it's perfectly acceptable to roleplay being born and raised in Los Santos.
    • Arrival
      A better option for newer players unfamiliar with how things work in Los Santos. Much like when immigrating or moving to a new location, you will be able to learn how things work alongside your character and learn with them. As for an excuse to move to Los Santos, you need to have a justified reason why your character decided to come to Los Santos instead of other options. This excuse could be:
      • Culture
        Vinewood is the home of parties, movies, drugs and gang violence. Some of that perhaps personally interests your character in some way and they want to get involved with that.
      • Work/Study
        You got a job offer or a scholarship in Los Santos (you don't actually have to have a job offer/study, you could NPC it, although actually having one would really be beneficial) and since you work there, you decided that you also need to make friends, to fit in to your new environment.
      • Family/Friends
        You got some relatives you'd like to meet(again, can be NPC'd, but it would be better to have real players RP them) and this is the reason you're coming in. Perhaps, you decide you like it here so you decide to stay and move in with them. Or perhaps, you suffered an incident that forced you to move in with them. There are many plausible scenarios.
      • Circumstance
        You just happen to end up there after illegally immigrating or just going AWOL on your old life and you don't really have any plan - you're just going along with what's going on.
    • Stay
      You were born and raised in Los Santos and just going about your day and continuing your life as it was. Recommended for those who already made prior characters and are familiar with how things work in LSRP because it makes little sense for immigrants/those who aren't local to instantly know what to do and whom to report to when, for example, a cop mistreats them.
    • Hybrid
      You arrived at some point, but it's not at the point at which you're starting to play your character. Perhaps it was a couple of months or even weeks ago. Works best for players who have some basic knowledge or experience playing, but not enough to justify a character that was born and raised in the locale.
Last edited by Userone on Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:52 am, edited 9 times in total.

Userone
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

2019-03-05 Update

Post by Userone » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:22 pm

Update
  • "Physical Traits" is now a sub-section to "Character".
  • Added sub-section "Personality" to "Character".
  • Added "Background Story" section with 2 sub-sections.

Cantbehudson
Forum Moderator

Re: [WIP] Userone's Realistic Character Creation Guide

Post by Cantbehudson » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:04 pm

Sorry, but I wouldn't recommend this guide to new players. You've worked too much with stereotypes. The three most important things are not gender, age and ethnicity. Probably everybody knows what's a female period who plays here. If you surf the internet and look up how writers create characters you'll find better material.

Userone
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Userone » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:28 pm

Cantbehudson wrote: ↑
Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:04 pm
You've worked too much with stereotypes. The three most important things are not gender, age and ethnicity.
I never said they were the most important things, I said they could affect their physical appearance and I cited real studies that supported my statements. I didn't generalize, and I even made an effort to bring up the fact that there are outliers that do not fit into said stereotypes, for example, despite the fact that on average men are stronger than women, there are women who are athletic and stronger than most men out there.

King G
Game Administrator

Post by King G » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:33 pm

Looks good.

B`O.
Protect and Serve
Ingame name: Pablo Rodriguez

Post by B`O. » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:37 pm

I like it, who knows, I might use it in the future.

|| Felipe Rodriguez - Former IHI Security CEO|| Alive ||
|| Pablo Rodriguez - Police Officer III - Los Santos Police Department || Alive ||
† Rest in peace my nigga Chiko Parks †
"Heros don't wear capes or tights, they wear dog tags and combat boots." - Felipe Rodrigez
#FreeAdil

WatchingEye
Civilian
Civilian

Post by WatchingEye » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:58 pm

I actually like it, it is pretty interesting and helpful for new players, that's for sure.

ThatBoi
Wannabe Mafia
Wannabe Mafia
Ingame name: Ted Collins

Post by ThatBoi » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:59 pm

Userone should be the last person doing guides on roleplay.
Last edited by Acrobat on Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: User warned.
Irvin Cotton - DEAD
Founder of 616 Crew
Ted Collins - ALIVE
Biker/drug dealer

Zachery_King
Gangster
Gangster
Ingame name: Shmoney

Post by Zachery_King » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:10 pm

Pretty good
π•€β€™π•ž π•€π•šπ•”π•œ π•šπ•Ÿ π•₯𝕙𝕖 𝕙𝕖𝕒𝕕, π•€β€™π•ž π•₯π•¨π•šπ•€π•₯𝕖𝕕, 𝕋𝕖𝕝𝕝 𝕓𝕣𝕠, 𝕑𝕦𝕀𝕙 π•šπ•Ÿ π•₯𝕙𝕖 π•€π•™π•’π•Ÿπ•œ π•’π•Ÿπ•• π•₯π•¨π•šπ•€π•₯ π•šπ•₯

Return to β€œPlayer-Created Guides”